Social media is an essential part of everyday life for most of us. This is increasingly the case for businesses, as well. Social media is often how a business shares updates, interacts with current customers, and identifies and courts potential new customers. If you’re in the market for a new job, social media can work to your advantage. Here are some tips on using social media to help with your job search:
Think like an employer
- Review and update all of your social media profiles. Remove any photos or information that might come across as inappropriate to a potential employer. Employers are definitely checking you out on social media. Your social media content is a reflection of your “brand” as a potential employee.
- Add your LinkedIn profile link to your resume and attach your resume to your LinkedIn profile. Your LinkedIn profile is your social media “resume”. Be sure to use a professional photo on LinkedIn. Share articles related to your industry. Follow businesses on your employer “wish list” and connect with people that work there. If they share an interesting article, comment and share it. Basically, be seen by these companies. And follow industry related #hashtags.
- On Facebook, follow the companies you’re interested in. Again, share and comment on their posts. This is important – don’t “friend” people from companies on Facebook! You don’t want to come across as a “stalker”. Most people want to keep their private lives private.
- On Twitter, follow companies you’re interested in, join industry conversations and follow relevant #hashtags. Definitely retweet valuable and interesting posts.
- On Instagram, create a professional account that showcases your work if that’s relevant. For example, if you’re a photographer, create an account that showcases your photography. Add your profile to your resume. Make sure your profile is public so anyone can follow it. If you already have an Instagram that is not business friendly, keep it private so that potential employers cannot access it. Follow companies you’d like to work for and like/comment on their posts. And again, follow relevant #hashtags.
The details matter
- Just like on your resume, be sure to check your social media content for correct grammar and use spell check!
As always, Talent Tap is here if you have any questions!